Managing Director, Europe
With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
Environmental Defense Fund Europe is an affiliate of Environmental Defense Fund, a leading international non-profit organisation that creates transformative solutions to the most serious environmental problems. Environmental Defense Fund Europe is three years old, led by Executive Director Baroness Worthington. We bring a fresh new voice to Europe, led by science and data, working across the political spectrum and focusing on pragmatic solutions. Our strategic plan, Forging Solutions in Europe, sets out our current goals and priorities. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
In 2016 we established a legal entity in Europe, based in London. We know we are stepping into a fast-moving river in Europe, where civil society has a proud history of winning environmental protections and where progressive companies are investing in solutions and advocating positive change. By expanding EDF's work in Europe, we are contributing to this common effort, bringing our experience in forging solutions that align the interests of people and nature so that both can thrive. Europe so often leads the world in safeguarding the environment and human health, yet still faces many challenges. Tackling global climate change requires unprecedented action; our seas are under great pressure, and human health is too often impaired due to poor environmental conditions. To help deliver solutions on the scale of these problems, EDF Europe reaches out to new audiences and deploys both tested tools and innovative approaches, adding further diversity to the European environmental movement.
As our presence in Europe has grown, EDF is now seeking a new Managing Director for our Europe office who brings proven abilities to optimize organizational effectiveness in a matrixed structure, align strategies across a global agenda, and nurture and develop staff to achieve results. The Managing Director is responsible for providing day-to-day oversight of staff and program work, and for assisting with program development and growth. He or she functions as an informed and accessible resource for program and department staff in Europe, and manages and assists staff in their assigned areas to develop and achieve environmental and organizational goals.
The Managing Director, Europe reports to the Executive Director, Europe and works closely with senior staff in the Programs and Departments.
- Directly supervise dedicated staff in Europe, setting goals, reviewing work products and assisting with career development. Conduct performance evaluations for dedicated staff.
- Indirectly supervise other Program and Administrative staff working in Europe to ensure that they understand their roles and responsibilities and that they are integrated and aligned with their "home" team operations and strategies. Participate as needed in program goal setting, work planning and staff development initiatives.
- Look for and encourage synergies and collaboration across the various work streams in Europe, and facilitate cooperation and teamwork among Europe-based staff. Implement best practices for operational efficiency and strategic alignment within a matrixed global organization, and build or reinforce foundation structures that allow for growth.
- Monitor execution of the EDF-Europe Strategic Plan and oversee internal monitoring and evaluation processes relevant to the Europe office.
- Participate with the Executive Director and Europe Communications Manager develop and implement an EDF-Europe communications and visibility strategy.
- Identify training needs to improve staff effectiveness, provide mentoring for new staff and motivate performance and staff retention.
- Reinforce the EDF culture and build esprit de corps by leading monthly EDF Europe staff meetings, ensuring organizational onboarding of new staff, and encouraging or facilitating staff participation in EDF-wide opportunities.
- With the Executive Director and relevant Program and Department heads, ensure that EDF organizational systems and legal requirements are adhered to: socialize HR and other policies and ensure they're consistently applied, lead budget and financial reviews, ensure IT systems are integrated with EDF US.
- Develop and implement opportunities for staff to share knowledge and experiences across regions and sector strategies.
- 10 or more years of professional experience, including staff and budget management
- Demonstrated ability to forge collaborations and work in effective partnerships
- Good judgment and an ability to set priorities within a fast-moving, multi-pronged agenda
- Ability to manage and motivate a team - with and without line authority - to accomplish challenging deliverables with tight timeframes and significant uncertainty
- Demonstrated success working within a matrixed organization and in an international context
- Interest in and support for EDF's mission
- Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent time management skills
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.