Head of Communications, Europe
Environmental Defense Fund Europe is an affiliate of Environmental Defense Fund, a leading international non-profit organisation that creates transformative solutions to the most serious environmental problems. With programs from Boston to Beijing, Environmental Defense Fund has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, economics, market-based approaches, and innovative private-sector partnerships.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share the Core Values that allow us to experiment courageously in our work while staying true to who we’ve been as an organization for 50 years. Are you a results oriented individual who is passionate about creating environmental solutions that make a lasting difference in the world? Do you respect diverse perspectives, talents and contributions? Do you value innovation and enjoy designing and using a wide range of problem-solving tools? Do you embrace environmental goals with a sense of optimism while taking into account real-world dynamics? If you have integrity and a strong desire to uphold a commitment to science, rigorous analysis, intellectual honesty and ethical action, then EDF is the place for you.
Environmental Defense Fund Europe is an affiliate of Environmental Defense Fund, a leading international non-profit organisation that creates transformative solutions to the most serious environmental problems. Environmental Defense Fund Europe is three years old, led by Executive Director Baroness Worthington. We bring a fresh new voice to Europe, led by science and data, working across the political spectrum and focusing on pragmatic solutions. Our strategic plan, Forging Solutions in Europe, sets out our current goals and priorities. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
The Head of Communications in Europe is responsible for developing and implementing strategic communications and marketing plans and media relations initiatives that persuasively connect with our target audiences, and help EDF Europe achieve its goals. Our audience is global business leaders and influencers, politicians, government officials, policy experts and potential donors. You bring a strategic perspective and strong abilities to take complex, often technical issues and make them accessible and inspiring to decision-makers and media.
You will spearhead the overall EDF Europe communications and marketing effort, including earned, paid and owned channels, with a particular focus on earned media. In addition, you will lead the EDF Europe website and blog strategy, speaking engagements, thought leadership activities, events and collateral development.
Our approach to environmental problems is grounded in science and we have a strong dedication to harnessing new technologies (low costs sensors, satellites, etc.) and vast computing capabilities to deliver change. We call this ‘4th wave environmentalism’ and we are keen to take a similar approach in devising our communications strategy. Therefore, you will be knowledgeable of the most ground breaking communications tools and use them to build and exploit our own channels, as well as use external opportunities.
This position requires knowledge of international environmental issues, key partners, cultures and influences in Europe. You possess excellent communication and high-level writing skills, a pre-existing network of contacts and an ability to execute multiple projects simultaneously. You will also need to establish effective relationships internally and externally to gather and present information in compelling ways.
The Head of Communications in Europe will report to the Vice President, Communications and coordinate closely on a day-to-day basis with EDF Europe Executive Director Baroness Worthington and colleagues in Europe, the United States and in other overseas offices.
- Serve as the principal communications executive in Europe leading all communications work, working closely with communications colleagues in our core work areas: Climate and Clean Energy, Oil & Gas Methane, Air Quality and Health and Oceans.
- Ensure internal coordination and message consistency across all brand and program communications in Europe.
- Help develop, refine and execute a communications strategy and plan for Europe with a focus on earned media and digital strategies and tools.
- Develop brand-level messaging and collateral materials, collaborating closely with communications colleagues and EDF Content.
- Identify global business leaders and influencers, politicians, government officials, policy experts and potential donors and the channels that reach them.
- Write high-quality speeches, op-eds, reactions, blogs and other materials; maximise promotion of these materials with credible reporters.
- Position the organisation as a thought leader in Europe, arranging media interviews, public speaking opportunities and opinion pieces for the Executive Director and other senior staff.
- Pitch stories actively to a variety of media, develop and maintain targeted media lists, initiate and maintain regular contact and strong relationships with targeted reporters.
- Maintain oversight of the EDFE Twitter account and website;
- Plan and execute events such as press conferences, announcements, speeches and in-person meetings with media and other influential stakeholders.
- Direct PR/communications agency support, including setting objectives and tracking results
- Monitor and report on our output, coverage and progress towards our communication goals.
- Edit and proofread written, online and video materials against tight deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree with 7 to 10 years of meaningful experience, preferably with some political or issue advocacy context.
- Excellent verbal, written and digital communications skills.
- Proven experience developing and delivering effective communications strategies to achieve policy and advocacy goals, incorporating use of the latest digital tools.
- Strong experience pitching and developing productive relationships with credible media; familiarity with environmental media a plus.
- Track record of producing international, national and regional media coverage.
- Proven ability to integrate and coordinate communications efforts on multiple channels across a global organisation.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Excellent organisational skills, including ability to handle and prioritise multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of European business leaders and influencers, politics and policy landscape.
- An established network of contacts within the marketing and communications sector in Europe.
- A teammate with strong social skills and an ability to work independently with light supervision.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Budgeting and strategic planning skills.
- A real passion for making a difference in the world.
- Willingness to travel in Europe and internationally.
- Relevant policy knowledge in the areas of climate change, energy and the environment
- Journalistic experience
- Creative flair
- Digital design skills
- Language skills
- Experience of working for an international/transatlantic organisation
Please include a cover letter for further consideration.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.